Methodism started in Euxton in a weaver’s cottage in Pincock Street in the 1830’s or possibly earlier. During that time there was an influx of weavers moving from Preston to the mills in Euxton, and cottages were being built close to the workplace. By the year 1840 there were so many people meeting it was decided to lease land on Wigan Road to build a Wesleyan Chapel. This was opened in 1845 and the annual ground rent for the plot was £1.4s.1½d. The freehold was purchased later.
In 1900, land to the north of the old building was purchased at a cost of £137.15.0 and a new chapel built, the foundation stone being laid in June 1901 and the new chapel opened in April 1902. The men of the congregation dug out the site to save money and the new building cost £1500.
The old chapel started to develop major maintenance problems and was demolished and replaced with a new prefabricated building to house the Sunday school during 1968 and this cost £7000. The new hall was completed and opened in January 1969. However, with numbers growing it soon became necessary to purchase extra accommodation. A prefabricated dwelling was bought from Leyland council along with the purchase of land at the rear of the new Chapel enabled the new room to be opened in January 1979. The men of the congregation, again to save money, dismantled the ‘prefab’ in Leyland and erected it on site behind the existing buildings. This building is now known as the Wesley Room.
These buildings have long been used for various activities within the church and the wider community.
If you’re interested in seeing photos click here.